The Ice Cream Parlor at Chippewa Valley Museum
The Ice Cream Parlor is Currently Closed for the Season.
From 1912 to 1922, the museum’s marble soda fountain was used at Dor Smith’s, an ice cream parlor and tobacco shop, located at 124 S Barstow St, Eau Claire. In 1922, Alfred Bjerke bought it and moved it to his drug store in Fall Creek.
Bjerke’s timing was impeccable. Ice cream parlors flourished during Prohibition as socially acceptable gathering places. The Bjerke family used the fountain for the next half-century and donated it to the Chippewa Valley Museum in 1977.