Chippewa Valley Museum Mission & HistoryMission: To connect people to our community and inspire curiosity by collecting, preserving, and sharing our region’s historical and cultural resources.
The Chippewa Valley Historical Society, founded in 1952, began to build support for opening a museum with a display in Eau Claire’s Public Library followed by two “History on Display” exhibits in 1964 and 1965, and a display in the Barstow School in 1965.
1966 – the Chippewa Valley Museum opens its doors in the former Meader Candy Factory (now the VolumeOne World Headquarters) just north of downtown Eau Claire. Jack Arnold, president of the L.G. Arnold Construction Company, housed upstairs, donates space on the first floor of the building for use by the museum.
1967 – the building is sold, and the museum is without a home.
1968 – 1974 UW-Eau Claire houses the Chippewa Valley Museum at 129 Chippewa Street in a house they had purchased for future development. While the museum had the use of three rooms they could only accommodate the displays and a total of 10 people at a time.
1972 – ground was broken for the museum’s present location in Eau Claire’s Carson Park.
1974 – the Chippewa Valley Museum opens its doors to the public in its present location.
1976 – the Anderson Log Home is donated to the museum
1977 – the Schlegelmilch House, an example of an early 20th century merchant’s home in downtown Eau Claire, is donated to the museum
Today the Chippewa Valley Museum continues to gather memories, save ideas, and share stories to create a community that connects diverse audiences with all facets of the culture and history of the Chippewa Valley.