Gingerbread House Contest
Gingerbread Houses will be on display Dec. 7th – Dec. 21st
REGISTRATION is now closed.
• $5 Registration fee per entry
• Registration deadline is Saturday, November 23rd, by 5:00pm
• Space is limited to 30 entries. Register early!
GENERAL INFORMATION:If you're interested in being part of the Chippewa Valley Museum's Gingerbread House Contest you'll find everything you need to know below. Bases should be 15"x15", structures should be 2' tall or less, and Royal Icing only please. Be creative, have fun, and we can't wait to see what you create.
BASE SIZE•Base size should be no bigger than 15” X 15”
• Base should of sturdy material (heavy cardboard, foam core or wood depending on weight). If using cardboard, cover with aluminum foil so that moisture from the icing does not soak into it.
STRUCTURE• Structure cannot exceed two feet in height.
• The base size should not extend more than two inches beyond the perimeter of the house.
• Houses can be constructed of any edible materials. • No battery operated or electric components can be included in the structure.
• Do not use anything in your structure that requires refrigeration.
• Use Royal Icing only; no eggs or milk can be used as ingredients. A recipe is provided below for your convenience to use.
• If baking gingerbread from scratch, bake several days prior to decorating to account for shrinkage.
• Be sure to account for heat, moisture, weight, and other unpredictable variables when designing your display.
• Creativity is the best ingredient!
ROYAL ICING RECIPEMakes about 2 1/2 cups Mix together:
1 pound powdered sugar
3 tablespoons meringue powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Add: 3 1/2 ounces of water (just less than 1/2 cup)
Beat until icing forms still peaks and will hold a sharp line when knife is drawn through it. Keep covered with a damp cloth to prevent icing from drying out. Work with a small amount of icing at a time. Unused icing can be stored in a tightly closed container.