Connect with us on Facebook Visit our YouTube channel

lars and grethe anderson house

an 1866 norwegian home built in chippewa county, wisconsin

Further Information

The Journey to America

 

Staking a Claim

 

A Home on Big Elk Creek

 

Daily American Life

 

The House in Later Years

Related Reading

Farm Life by Frank Smoot, Chippewa Valley Museum Press

Contact Us

PHONE:
(715) 834-7871

MAILING ADDRESS:
Chippewa Valley Museum
PO Box 1204
Eau Claire, WI 54702-1204

PHYSICAL ADDRESS:
1204 E. Half Moon Drive
Eau Claire, WI 54703
(This is NOT a mailing address!)

EMAIL:

THE HOUSE IN LATER YEARS

 

Although the house was never wired for electricity, family members occupied it until the late 1950s.

After Grethe’s death in 1903, sons Alfred and Harold continued to run the farm. In 1943, after Harold became ill, Roal and Irene Ovren rented the farm for a year and lived in the house briefly.

The house’s last tenants were Leonard and Gertrude Andreason (Gertrude was Lars and Grethe’s grandaughter) and their daughter Mary. In 1944, when Harold died, the Andreasons bought the farm and moved into the house. They built a new house on the farmstead in 1958.

Leonard and Gertrude Andreason donated the house to the museum in 1975. The Eau Claire Lions Club donated $4,000 toward the moving and restoration of the house.

In February 1976, Mitchell Movers of Chippewa Falls moved the house to the museum grounds in Carson Park. It was finally set on a stone foundation behind the museum in 1977.

One corner of the building had deteriorated. Workers used a broadaxe owned by Lars Anderson (and said to have been used in the original construction) to shape the new white pine that replaced the rotted originals.

In 2001, Mitchell Movers moved the house again, to its present location.

 

 

the Anderson house in 1928 covered with clapboard siding

the Anderson house in 1928 covered with clapboard siding

the Anderson house on the move in 1977

Moving the house in February 1976. The fering strips still attached to the building were used as spacers for the lap siding, which the Anderson family installed in 1928.

the Anderson house on the move again in 2001

Moving the house again in 2001, from one side of the museum to the other. This move freed space for museum expansion. The move took weeks of site preparation, and the hauling itself took about seven hours. "It was a little tippy," the driver admitted after the house was in place.

 

Plan A Visit
When you get here
Services we offer
Who we are
Bring us home
You can help