Lars and Grethe Anderson raised a large family in this modest two-story log home, originally located about 15 miles from Eau Claire in Chippewa County. Probably built in 1866, the style of construction in this house reflects its owners' Scandinavian heritage.
Now located on the grounds of the Chippewa Valley Museum, it is open from mid-April through mid-October. Admission is included with admission to the Chippewa Valley Museum.
Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Andreason of the Town of Wheaton, Chippewa County donated the house. Funds for moving and renovation were made possible by a gift from the Eau Claire Lions Club, and from pennies raised by area school children. Mitchell Movers of Chippewa Falls donated time and equipment use to move the house to its present site in 2001.
The house and its collections are maintained and interpreted by the Chippewa Valley Museum. Grounds are maintained by the Eau Claire Parks and Recreation Department, with funds from the City of Eau Claire.
Interpretation of the Anderson House is funded in part by a grant from the Wisconsin Humanities Council and the National Endowment for the Humanities and the State of Wisconsin. The Wisconsin Humanities Council supports public programs that engage the people of Wisconsin in the exploration of human cultures, ideas and values.